Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sept 25

breakfast, pumpkin pancakes with buttermilk cinnamon syrup and applesauce
lunch, leftovers
dinner, I really don't know yet, I am getting my hair done and I don't know what time I will be home, maybe they will just eat toast and cheese

Today is Soup Day!

I am making Potato Soup and Split Pea Soup. I am also making granola.

This recipe is large. It is my #1's absolute favorite soup. (Really, he is already hovering. He asked when it will be done. True indicator of love, he will peel all the potatoes himself without being asked twice.) He will eat it until it is gone, even for breakfast! My ideal way of making this is with 15 pounds of potatoes because then it lasts for more than a dinner and a lunch. I know, INSANE!

Potato Soup

1 lb. Bacon, cut into small pieces
3 pounds onions, diced
10 pounds potates, peeled and diced
enough water to cover the potatoes
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. flour
2 egg

Place potatoes and diced onion in a large soup pot. Cover with cold water. Add 1 T. salt. Bring to boil. While waiting for water to boil cook bacon until crisp. When potatoes are cooked until tender add bacon to soup pot. To thicken, mix flour with egg, (I use my fingers and sift the mixture as much as possible). It will be lumpy (this makes little dumplings). Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bread and butter.

Split Pea Soup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion , chopped medium
2 carrots , peeled and chopped medium
3 large cloves garlic , minced
1 pound ham steak , chopped fine
Pinch sugar
1 pound dried split peas , picked over and rinsed
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
Ground black pepper

Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, ham, and sugar; cover and cook until vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add peas, broth, water, and bay leaf; increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until peas are soft, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaf and add pepper to taste. Serve.

No comments:

Texas

The days are so different. Instead of mess and homeschool teaching I have a DH working from home and quiet until 2:54 when #6 (who is 10)...