Wednesday, November 2, 2005

Halloween-Just One Day of Fun

Monday was a wild day at our house.

A lot of people don't know this about me--I can be really unflexible. One of the things I can be unflexible about is how holidays are not just a day anymore. Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving (or even Halloween). Thanksgiving is forgotten (which is a huge tragedy). Halloween is now getting stretched into a few weeks long event. Good grief. I absolutely refuse to start the sugar buzz early. Therefore, I do not let my children attend any other Halloween activity other than those on October 31. We didn't do the homeschool Halloween party or the church activity. We found things to do as a family-we had a nice dinner together, ate a dessert and played Rummikub. I feel a little deceptive not telling the boys but we have so much fun on that one day.

We cancel school. Carve the pumpkins in the morning, roast the seeds, decorate, get ready for the party, do costumes. Our friends arrive at 5 and then the fun begins. We eat penicillin pizza, maggot stew, snouts and beans and eyeball casserole. We drank algae drink and blood. This year we had 23 kids and the accompanying adults (8). Lots of candy, big kids to help the little kids, candy trading when we all got back, the adults had adults to talk with and the kids had a blast! What is so wrong with keeping it just one day?

No comments:

Texas

The days are so different. Instead of mess and homeschool teaching I have a DH working from home and quiet until 2:54 when #6 (who is 10)...