Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Currants Picked

Jelly made. I love my Mehu Lisa steam juicer. It is a dream for doing jelly and juices. No straining fruit through nylons. No red fingers for days and days.

I only made one batch of currant jelly this year. We still had some from last year and I really, really love Bonne Maman Four Fruit Jam. It has cherries, currants, raspberries and strawberries. I used the rest of the currant juice for our own version of Four Fruit Jam. Whenever one of those little Bonne Maman jar is opened it doesn't last until the next meal. So I know the kids like this combination also.

5 pounds cherries, 5 pounds raspberries steamed and juiced with currants, 5 pounds strawberries and approximately 12 cups of currant juice. 5-1-7-2 (for those non-jamming readers that is 5 cups fruit puree, 1 pectin package, 7 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice for a batch of jam)

Off to A&W for dinner!

No comments:

Texas

The days are so different. Instead of mess and homeschool teaching I have a DH working from home and quiet until 2:54 when #6 (who is 10)...