Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Wet's Go to Dat Houwse Gwammie!

That is what #4 kept saying last night during trick-or-treating. Over and over again. He was so very excited. He would not put on a costume. I don't argue with 3 year olds either so he went in his red Lands End coat. He was a boy little red riding hood. #1 started off as Darth Vader (but as it darkened he couldn't see and ended up being a guy in a black cape and dressed in black, so he settled for a Zorro guy), #2 was Ty Pennington, #3 was an Army guy, #4 was a boy red riding hood, #5 was Little Red Riding Hood using The Coat.

DH is at his sister's wedding. Since I was being single mom I decided to go to my parent's for Halloween. It is an hour and a half away but my parents don't see a lot of the kids and especially not on these really fun occasions that involve free candy. Grammie made potato soup for us. She went trick-or-treating with us. We hit the street she grew up on and visited the house she grew up in. She introduced me to the woman that babysat me when I was 3 or 4. The boys got a few stories from her and me (this is the church Grammie went to when she was a girl, I know where all the rooms are in this house, that yard used to have a pear tree and a little playhouse-more like a shack-that the kids would play in, the barn used to be taller until the neighbor kids caught it on fire). It is quite different trick-or-treating without anonymity. We ran into my cousin and their kids and they didn't recognize us (didn't really expect them to). But it was still very different.

We only stayed out for a hour then we headed back to Grammie and Poppy's to trade candy. #1 ate yet another bowl of potato soup, everyone stuffed themselves with tootsie rolls and m&ms and then we headed home. I arrived home with five happy snoring Brownheads.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Texas

The days are so different. Instead of mess and homeschool teaching I have a DH working from home and quiet until 2:54 when #6 (who is 10)...