Saturday, September 19, 2009

Next to the last canning day

This is it. The only thing left to can is applesauce. That is done in October or November. Nona will come and bring a few bushels of apples, I already have 3 or 4 bushels here, Jackie will probably join us and we will be canning maniacs and do 300 quarts in a day and just be done.

Today I finished off the canning by making green tomato relish. I had at least a bushel of green tomatoes. The garden is being prepared for winter. The chickens have been unleashed into the garden to eat their fill and clean it up. The only things left in the garden are rhubarb, kale, swiss chard and the strawberries.

Nona is here helping me. It has been almost 2 months since we have had a chance to visit with each other. She is mopping my floor. I am sitting here typing. #6 just brought me a popsicle to open for her. It is really getting to the end of summer and I am letting them eat unlimited popsicles today (just so I can get my freezer space back). Trees are turning red, the air is getting a nip, I can't just wear sandals to seminary in the morning.

I am sitting here typing, listening to my floor getting mopped and so very thankful for the bounteous produce from our garden this year. I am even more thankful I am DONE for a few weeks. Time to get the house clean and get ready for school.

3 comments:

ThurberGang said...

Wow, Dana. . . what an amazing year!! How great that Nona is there helping you. Good women. . .good women. . .

Jen B. said...

Sounds marvelous! Say Hi to Nona for me :-)

Krista said...

Wow is right!

Texas

The days are so different. Instead of mess and homeschool teaching I have a DH working from home and quiet until 2:54 when #6 (who is 10)...